[ExI] Michio Kaku makes 3 predictions about the future

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 15:48:22 UTC 2022

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 at 15:52, spike jones via extropy-chat

> The enormous solar colony I envision is bootstrapped using energy generated by nuclear reactors in West Sahara, cooled by seawater.  The whole operation would be owned and operated by the Chinese, who pay no attention to environmentalists and don’t get too concerned about international pressure.  They have developing nation status, which means they get to do whatever they want, regardless of how rich they become.  It is unclear when a developing nation becomes a no-longer developing nation.  It is unclear why the USA can be considered non-developing.  Any ideas?
>
> These big West Sahara schemes do come with an environmental price, as BillK pointed out.  This I do not dispute, nor do I dispute that enormous solar factories will contribute to global warming.  I do wish for us to recognize however that global warming in itself need not be catastrophic.  We can tolerate some of it.

<snip>

> OK then.  We can play that game, and make a ton of money at the same time.  There is no need to protest the game really, for humanity needs energy, so we must play the energy game and we must deal with the consequences.  From what I can see, the Chinese are in the best place to do that, because they do things like that: buy African territory, defend the hell out of it and build mega-projects on the area they bought.  India also has developing nation status and also has long-range vision.
>
> spike

One big problem with that is that it is the same mistake that Europe
made when they made themselves dependent on cheap oil and natural gas
from Russia. Russia can shut down Europe if they get really upset.

Now you suggest that China should have control of the tap to turn off
a huge solar power complex in the Sahara?  No way, Hosay, - as you
would say!   :)

BillK