[ExI] 27 psychedelics??

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Mar 28 20:07:58 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of Will Steinberg via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] 27 psychedelics??

>…Spike--do you conflate junkies with users of any drugs?

Hi Will, I use the term junkies to specifically mean those who are dysfunctional in any way as a result of their habit.  They (and we) know who they are.  It isn’t hard to recognize.

I suspect that many of our abundant homeless got that way from dope use.  Living on the street is uncomfortable, so those who landed out there by other circumstances will likely seek chemical solace at some point.

If we see them, and we see needles strewn about, we know what that it.  The reason I think the notion of trying this or that generally doesn’t sell in this forum (and makes some of us squirm) is all about the cost/benefit ratio.  The benefits are subjective, theoretical and generally invisible to us.  The risk is objective as hell, concrete, painfully visible.

>…  The people on the street usually aren't the same people using small doses of psychedelics for learning and introspection.  The fact that you see all drug users (besides caffeine and booze users, I guess…

I recognize both caffeine and alcohol as drugs, each with their own risks.  Both are well-known.

>…  I don't really understand why you'd think coffee is ok but amphetamines or psychedelics aren't, besides bias…

If taken in the form of a drink, there is zero risk of overdose with caffeine.  I suppose it could be done if devoured in pill form, but I don’t do that.

>…So basically I am just asking, why not?  Because you don't "need" it?  Need is subjective…

Exactly right.  The benefit is subjective, the risk is objective.  Game, set and match goes (every time) to objective.

All that being said, I applaud the recent dramatic increase in signal on ExI.  I missed you all.  There was a long quiet period, now filled with marvelous marvels of magnificence.