[ExI] video which changed my perspective

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 22:31:33 UTC 2022

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 12:25 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Mere pleasure can be had in far less self-destructive ways.    Adrian
>
> Adrian, I did not know that you were an ascetic.  I would never pair the
> word 'mere' with 'pleasure'   bill w

I don't think about it much, but I suppose the label fits.  I'm certainly
not the most extreme ascetic - I do engage in some pleasures from time to
time - but it is not the most important thing in my life, apparently to a
higher degree than most people.

Granted, I also find pleasure in certain intellectual pursuits.  Just last
night, an acquaintance wanted me to review a manuscript he is submitting
for publication, and it was a pleasure to perform the sort of review he
wished.  But I think these sorts of pleasures aren't counted in typical
ascetic/not-ascetic measurements.