[ExI] Thursday Fun Day in the UK

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Mar 31 23:34:14 UTC 2022

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] Thursday Fun Day in the UK

>...It's been a funny old day here in the UK.
On Friday a big electricity price increase will apply and customers were
told to supply meter readings on Thursday to make sure correct charges were
applied to their accounts.

>...Guess what happened?????

>...The websites of all the power companies promptly fell over as the whole
of the UK tried to connect and submit their meter readings.  What a
surprise!  :) Who would have thought that might happen!
Isn't technology wonderful!

<https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/18130141/ofgem-issues-bill-advice-sites-cras
h/>

BillK

Hey, WE invented that!  We Yanks did it first, me lad.

A few years ago the USA attempted to overhaul our medical insurance system.
The government set up a website.  Roll-out day, it crashed.  Too many
attempted to log on.  Unforeseeable I suppose.  Black swan event having all
those people try to log on the very first day.