[ExI] ok this explains it

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun May 1 15:40:26 UTC 2022

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Sunday, 1 May, 2022 7:30 AM
Subject: Re: [ExI] ok this explains it

On Sun, 1 May 2022 at 14:33, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Hey cool idea!  Twitter could make a slider bar where the user sets the
desired filtering level.  ...
> spike

See: <https://www.protocol.com/facebook-moderation-covid>
Quote:
"By outsourcing our jobs, Facebook implies that the 35,000 of us who work in
moderation are somehow peripheral to social media," the letter read.
----------
So Facebook probably has about 35,000 moderators and they still can't keep
up with the horrors being posted...
-------------
>...But Twitter flags far fewer bad tweets than Facebook flags bad posts.
Twitter has a policy to generally not moderate tweet content. They suggest
users block or unfollow offensive users.
---------

BillK

Whoa!  HOLeh schlMOLeh!  35k human moderators, sheesh, of course there is an
enormous cost savings available there.  Cost for a human is at best about
1k/week so Twitter is bleeding 35 million bucks a week just on something I
think can be done by software.

Thanks for that BillK.  This demonstrates the reason why Musk succeeds at
everything he does: he finds obvious costs savings and rebuilds a segment of
the industry using those savings.  A perfect example of that is in SpaceX,
where he intentionally chose subcontractors for his rockets which are all
located nearby, making it far more practical and cost-competitive.  The DoD
and NASA intentionally chose far-flung widely dispersed subcontractors (for
some perfectly-justifiable reasons) which always made it a pain in the ass
to visit subcontractors.  The subcontract tech leads spent waaaay too much
time travelling.

SpaceX chooses local subcontractors, so a prole can just drive around and do
her in-person meetings with her companies.  The savings in that alone are
huge.

Regarding Twitter, all those human moderators must justify their existence
somehow, so they flag a lotta stuff.  If the software is public, a prole can
test run her post to see if it will get flagged or filtered, work it until
it is acceptable, then post.  A coupla hundred million Twitter users will
turn into a coupla billion Twitter users, which woulda overwhelmed the 35k
human moderators anyway.