[ExI] Hibernation for human space travel not possible

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon May 2 23:08:26 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2 May 2022 at 23:43, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 5:06 AM BillK via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>> “Humans are simply too large, so the benefits of hibernation are
>> little — as in bears — if we think just on energy savings,” Nespolo
>> says.
>> ----------------------
>>
>> So humans might as well stay awake during long space trips. But they
>> will have to find some method of avoiding years of boredom during
>> longer journeys.
>

> You missed a nuance: "...if we think just on energy savings".  Hibernation is one way to avoid boredom.
>
> (Though there are many other ways, too.)

The article is mainly concerned with very long space trips. Weight
loss during hibernation is about five pounds per year, which becomes
significant on multi-year trips.
Travel time to Mars would be about 9 months, so the weight loss would
only be about four pounds during hibernation. This should not be a
problem for most people. Muscle weakness might be significant
though. Waking up early to do fitness training should fix that.

BillK