[ExI] Fwd: Is Artificial Life Conscious?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:59:49 UTC 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 9:01 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <

> In any case, I disagree with both you and Rafal. You think EM fields
> mediate consiousness, Rafal thinks that synaptic organization and
> transmission via ions and neurotransmitters mediate consciousness. I
> think that consciousness is a complex recursive mathematical function
> on tensor-space mediated by sparse synaptic connections between
> non-linearly activated neurons. I think we all would benefit from
> keeping the conversation going.

Would any of you disagree that conscious knowledge of a strawberry is
composed of pixel elements of visual knowledge that have various intrinsic
qualities like redness and greenness?
Seems to me, we must accept that, the question is what is it that has the
redness and greenness qualities, and how is it all computationally bound
into one unified conscious experience.  Each of these different sets of
predictions are all possibilities, right?  It's simply a matter of
experimentally demonstrating which of all these theories is correct, and
demonstrating which of all these competing predictions about what a redness
quality is, is THE ONE theory that can't be falsified.