[ExI] Is Artificial Life Conscious?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:04:30 UTC 2022

Hi Stathis,
[image: 3_robots_tiny.png]

We can say *functionality* is multiply realizable, the above systems being
different examples of the same knowledge of the strawberry functionality.
We can say the same for *intelligence*.
But if you define "*consciousness*" to be computationally bound elemental
intrinsic qualities, like redness and greenness, that is basically saying
it is important to ask questions like what is your consciousness like?
Which of the above 3 qualities are you using to paint your conscious
knowledge of the strawberry with?

And given that definition of "*consciousness*" isn't this the opposite of:
"No, I don’t think *consciousness* can be tied to any particular [colorness
quality of the] substrate or structure."

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 8:27 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <