[ExI] 1950 census, was: RE: tennis

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue May 17 13:23:55 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Tuesday, 17 May, 2022 2:00 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: BillK <pharos at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] 1950 census, was: RE: tennis

On Tue, 17 May 2022 at 03:59, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com> …  Today, there are a
> loooootta lotta people who are living and perfectly healthy who
> suddenly are unwillingly public domain…spike
<snip>
> spike

In the UK the census data is released to the public after 100 years.
So fewer people will still be alive to be embarrassed by the data.

BillK

Hi BillK,

My quirky hobby is DNA-based genealogy.  I am conflicted on that: personally I think it should be 100 years, but I am thankful that it is 72.  So I have moral cognitive dissonance over the whole thing and I do confess I have found out stuff that I don't talk about with other family members.  Not telling something one knows is another source of moral cognitive dissonance.

My comment above creates still more cog-dis.  For instance, I sometimes comment that I learned something I wish I didn't know.  Does anyone here have a good example of finding out something you really wish you didn't know?  I don't.  I have learned some disturbing things, but I would rather be disturbed than ignorant.  So... while respecting others' privacy, I am good with the 72 year delay on census records.