[ExI] 1950 census, was: RE: tennis

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 19:12:59 UTC 2022

On Tue, May 17, 2022, 11:55 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> If you ponder the father = great grandfather dilemma, I have an even
> thornier one for you, also related to DNA genealogy.

I don't understand why that's any dilemma other than cultural taboo.  I
understand inbreeding is bad for genetic diversity reasons at general
population level,  but as we take manual control of fixing outright defects
what difference does it make?

I make the same point about ye olde artifacts of food safety: don't eat
pork because dirty animals (whatever religious reason) and cross-species
infection.  Now that we have better processes and refrigeration the other
white meat is probably cleaner than the latest round of recalled lettuce;
is the prohibition on pork still a good idea or is it an unquestioned
tradition of kosher eating?

Heh, "don't run with scissors" is good advice but might have legit
exceptions.

I ask a lot of questions.
Answers lead to better questions.  :)