[ExI] education

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat May 21 23:47:50 UTC 2022

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 3:44 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

Education:  no politician would say that it is anything but #1 on their agenda.  But what are the facts?    For a long time teaching was done by women, often single, and were underpaid by any standard.  Has that changed?  Read the following, from Quora (I did not try to validate the statistics - 100K, Spike?).

Supply and demand is what determines the value of any profession.  We have the notion that all elementary and secondary teachers should be paid the same, but those who know science, technology, engineering and math have the option of higher paying careers outside of teaching.  Consequently… there aren’t enough STEM teachers.

I see in some areas workarounds: STEM-oriented private schools where teachers are on different pay scales.  Like any other business, they pay what the market demands for the skillset they need.

Public schools are union-dominated which will lead to the same pay scale for a STEM teacher as for one whose degree is in gender studies or journalism or some goofy thing.  Their shortage of STEM teachers is never going away.