[ExI] us

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 16:07:57 UTC 2022

On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 at 14:53, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

<snip>

> Just how susceptible are our children to indoctrination?  Me?  I am a born contrarian and skeptic.  But I don't know how I would have been affected by such a program, though I suspect that nobody and nothing could have just wiped out my opinions and replaced them at any age.
>
> So I think this whole thing is sort of a straw man - few if any are attempting indoctrination, and few are fully affected, and most of those kids will develop different opinions before they leave school.
> Remember 'Don't trust anyone over 30?'  Teachers are like parents - they get ignored and what the peer group thinks is far more important.
>
> We received 'sermons' on all kinds of topics from parents and teachers and pastors throughout our youth.  How much stuck?  Of that that stuck, how much of it was thoughtless. believed just because we were told?   bill w

Heh!  :)   Western societies live in an environment of hidden
persuaders. Billions spent on advertising persuasion, government
propaganda, religious cults indoctrinating members, social media
influencers, etc. It is so prevalent that we don't even notice it.
Like a fish asking, "What is this water that you talk about?".
The Chinese have large camps to indoctrinate Uyghurs.
None of this would be done if persuasion didn't work.
Unfortunately it works far too well.

BillK