[ExI] [Extropolis] My review of "The Primacy of Doubt, " by Tim Palmer

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:39:27 UTC 2022

<John: Poincaré's Recurrence Theorem says  any dynamical system composed of
a finite number of particles (as the human brain is) will, given sufficient
time, return to its original state, however I wouldn't consider just
repeating the same identical thing over and over again to be an afterlife
because  repeating an event an infinite number of times and doing it just
once would be subjectively identical. And subjectivity is the most
important thing in the universe, or at least it is in my subjective
opinion. But if you could keep on increasing the number of particles, that
is to say if your brain kept getting bigger, then you could keep on having
novel experiences until you ran out of particles to add. >

Poincaré’s eternal return universe would be a repetitive closed loop
without novelty as you say. It would be a loop because in classical
mechanics different phase space paths don’t intersect (if they did, one
present would have multiple futures), so if two paths intersect once they
are one and the same path.

Palmer says that the universe will return to a state that is arbitrarily
close (not identical) to any previous state. In his theory, inspired by
fractal and chaos maths, the universe will eventually (after a loooong
time) return to a state very close (arbitrarily close) to its current
state. And then again and again on new paths in the fractal invariant set.

But there are variations, and then other variations ever and ever again, so
it is not the same one life over and over, and there are real subjective
experiences forever. And you keep meeting new versions of your loved ones
forever! To me, this is an emotionally satisfying concept of afterlife.