[ExI] us

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Nov 10 23:28:38 UTC 2022

…
Subject: Re: [ExI] us

>>…Why will losing Florida and a few percent of the land along the coastal
areas cause the world to end?  Anyone? spike

>…Spike, you talk as if these people were human versions of Chicken Little.
As a parallel, think of the people in California (near Los Angeles?) whose
houses slide down hill in heavy rainstorms …

Ja.  Those who built homes there accepted the risk.  The risk is not in
sliding down the hill so much as the risk of living anywhere near Los
Angeles, oh mercy.

But do let us think about this a minute or more.  As an impressionable
child, I read Herman Kahn’s Thinking About the Unthinkable, which is about
what humans do we do if we unleash world war 3, nukes and all: most people
die, the world as we know it comes to an end.  But not everyone dies.  So…
what do they do?  What happens after the world ends?

We can ask the same questions about global warming (or climate change if
one wants to cover all the bases (given a choice between nuclear war and
climate chance… I’ll taaaake… hmmmm… such a difficult choice… Global Warming
for 500 please Alex.))  Climate change isn’t unthinkable at all.  We can
think about it.

OK suppose the most pessimistic doomsday profits are right, we really did
steal and destroy Greta Thunberg’s childhood, even if I don’t recall doing
so, her grim prophecies come to pass, the world ends in less than 9 years.
What happens after that?  I predict… most people wouldn’t notice the world
ended.  They never heard of the doomsday profits or their grim predictions,
their world continues as it did the day before.  22 Jan 2030 looks just like
21 Jan 2030, it’s a Tuesday, so put the cans on the street, the
post-apocalyptic trash guy is coming, and tonight is spaghetti with garlic
bread, etc.  I predict most of us won’t notice the world ended.  We long
since quit looking for hiding places to stash Greta’s stolen childhood (now
that she is 27 we are looking for hiding places if we manage to steal her
young adulthood.)

But think about it: suppose the grim models are correct.  What specifically
ends on 21 Jan 2030?  Or if you don’t accept that particular profit of doom,
pick a date, tell me what you consider is a worst case scenario.  Because it
looks to me like we have waaaaaay bigger worries, far more immediate
concerns than that.  It also looks to me like we have time to deal if the
profits are right.