[ExI] uv as an antiviral

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Nov 11 19:48:33 UTC 2022

BillK, regarding that UV light business, consider microwave ovens.  Those
are tuned to the resonant frequency of water, about 2.45 GHz.  The plates
contain no water, so they don't get hot.  However... we know of some
frequencies which will heat the plates without heating the water.  Same
principle applies: resonance at the frequency of the material of the plates
but not the food.

OK then, we know of some kinds of light which do pass through the body but
don't hurt anything (in reasonable doses.)  You were likely exposed to them
recently at the dentist office.  OK suppose there is a frequency which
resonates a molecule in a virus, perhaps causing that bond to break, but
leaving the rest of the molecules intact in anything else which is not that
virus.  Could not we get a few thousand bats with C-19, dose each of them
with a flash of some frequency well above visible light (for we know every
life form on earth can survive visible light.)  See which bats recover from
the virus and which ones perish from a dose of whatever frequency with which
we just whacked them.

Note that the band we call X-rays span three full orders of magnitude in
frequency.  Do we know for sure there isn't a specific frequency in there
somewhere which wrecks a particular virus without hurting anything else?
How do we know that?  Was it tried?

Last week I went to Stanford for a CT scan.  That works by exciting a
specific atom (calcium) using a rotating magnetic field (thanks James Clerk
Maxwell.)  What if... there is some way to put a patient into modified a CT
scan machine that somehow excites some unknown molecule or chemical bond in
C-19 without wrecking anything else?  Has that been tried?  Who tried it,
when?  What if a number of C-19 infected volunteers wish to try something
like that?  Or if we were to get a bunch of infected bats and try it on them
first?

How do we get new treatments and therapies other than just trying any wacky
idea and seeing which ones simultaneously seem to help and do not slay the
proles?  Isn't that what we call medical research?  Probably won't work of
course, but I figure that's why we call it research, rather than refind.