[ExI] lotta splainin to do

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 15:33:32 UTC 2022

On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 at 00:57, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *‘’’*> *On Behalf Of *Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] lotta splainin to do
>

> A lot of FTX's assets and value were in its own token, FTT, much like
> normal banks back their assets with cash, gold, or the like.  So, when the
> value of FTT suddenly plunged (because someone who had a lot of FTT
> suddenly no longer trusted FTX, and sold their FTT to wash their hands of
> their investment in FTX), FTX suddenly didn't have the assets to conduct
> its normal business with, much like a bank run.  The inability of a major
> currency exchange to convert cryptocoins to USD meant those cryptocoins
> were significantly less able to be converted to USD - which caused their
> value in USD to drop substantially.
>

> Much like any bank run, a massive hit to public confidence in a major
> financial institution caused impacts to the value of the main currencies
> that institution dealt in.
>

> OK cool thx, so the service FTX was providing is converting digital
> currency into fiat currency and back?

They weren’t just doing that. They were using depositors’ funds for risky
activities, such as lending to or investing in other parties or to
subsidiaries. As a result their liabilities are now greater than their
assets, and depositors will not get their money back. If it had just been a
liquidity problem another business, such as Binance, would have taken over.

> Well that makes sense, for I often wondered about that step: that
> conversion looks like the most dangerous one.  Adrian your comment confirms
> it and makes perfect sense: something vaguely analogous to a bank would do
> business the way a bank does: keeps a small amount of cash to pay out
> withdrawals but not enough for all the depositors to withdraw at once,
> betting they won’t do that.
>

> So… a major competitor could buy up a bunch of FTX, then dump it, causing
> the modern equivalent of a bank run, analogous to what the evil Simon Bar
> Sinister (disguised as the evil Mr. Potter) did to George Bailey in
> Wonderful Life.  Then Potter can buy his broken competitor for pennies on
> the dollar, as he tried to do, but Bedford Falls rejected the bad guy.
>

> OK then, that all makes sense.  So now I am back to where I was 20 years
> ago: recognizing that digital currency is cool, but it is still vaguely
> unclear (and possibly risky) to convert it back and forth into
> universally-recognized currency.
>

> This part rings true: governments which print fiat money (which is all of
> them) will fight back somehow against upstarts challenging and competing
> with their money factory.
>

> spike

Stathis Papaioannou