[ExI] lotta splainin to do

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 01:30:53 UTC 2022

Spike,
No exchanges are not needed, they are just convenient.
1) If we just adopted some of the most solid crypto like BTC and it was a
universal currencies all the transactions would be in BTC so no need to go
back and forth to fiat. Even salaries and services would be paid in BTC so
fiat could be completely bypassed. This is theoretical and not happening
yet but in principle this is the best solution to the problem you are
mentioning.
2) In the meanwhile a better solution to centralization of existing
exchanges would be decentralized exchanges. In this case depositing
electronically cash (using a debit card for example) in such exchange would
not allow the owner of the exchanges to have access to your cash but be
more like an escrow account. The person that owns the account has the key
to the account. Then all the transactions would be peer to peer and only if
both parties agree the exchange is allowed. This is what is called a smart
contract.

The using the debt card part is where we would need collaboration from
existing institutions like banks. Many banks allow you to use your a debit
card or bank account to buy BTC on exchanges like Coinbase. While Coinbase
is pretty solid they are still very much centralized. It would be better if
they would work as an escrow account and facilitate peer to peer
transactions but it doesn't work in that way. They basically have control
of the cash you deposited and give you credit for what you deposited and
then through internal accounting keep track of the trades you have done.

It should not work in that way.
It is done in that way because it is more convenient and easier to put all
the money in a pool and keep track of the transactions and then only when
somebody wants to withdraw crypto from the exchange or convert back to cash
you get back your money and you are in control again.

This allows the incredible weakness of the people in control of the
exchange to run away with the money or do stupid things with it like using
it to trade with high risky leverage exactly like FTX did.

There are some decentralized exchanges but as far as I know they only
convert crypto to crypto and not from fiat to crypto and back to fiat. But
it is a solvable problem not sure why there is not more work in this area.
This is where the real potential of crypto really is. It should be all
about cutting the middle man (almost completely, one would still pay some
little fee for the escrow service).

Here a good article about decentralized exchanges.
https://www.gemini.com/cryptopedia/decentralized-exchange-crypto-dex
Giovanni

On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 4:17 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <