[ExI] lotta splainin to do

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 16:00:04 UTC 2022

Just finished 'How Innovation Works' by Matt Ridley (my very favorite
science writer - extremely smart and well up on the research in detail).

Every single inventor and innovator had to fight other claimants (and
without exception there were a few or many), in one court after another,
and government restrictions to be able to market his product.  Often the
reasons were stupid, such as the ban on tomatoes (I think it was something
else but this will do) enforced by the clergy a couple of centuries ago
because they were not mentioned in the Bible.  The EU is now being stupid
with GMO crops (as are other places in the world - Greenpeace has convinced
an AFrican country or two not to grow them, while people there starve -
you probably have read about the yellow rice mess).  A lot of protectionism
of existing companies - IOW a lot of payoffs of officials.

Favorite new woman:  Taylor Swift - if you saw her commercials you would
agree - I have never seen a woman cuter than her.  Have not heard her sing,
of course. bill w

Lawyers and lobbyists have had great influence in holding up progress.

Excellent book !     bill w

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 7:10 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <