[ExI] bitcoin again

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Nov 26 04:03:12 UTC 2022

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
…

--

Stathis Papaioannou

Stathis, it is very clear to me that several of you guys, Adrian and others, know a lot more about this topic than I do.  It is even more clear to me from what I have learned in this thread, I am confident in my prediction and observation: Bankman Fried committed fraud but not necessarily tax evasion, but ironically will not be charged in criminal court, rather by the IRS.

All that is a backhanded way of saying that the US government will act in its own best interest by whatever means are available to it.  The US government does not want a competing currency to exist.  It would really prefer digital currency remain difficult to switch back and forth with US fiat currency, or if so, the IRS wants a cut of the action in both directions.  The IRS will be fine with all this if they get a generous piece of the pie.  The retail politicians are OK with defrauding investors, so long as the same retail politicians get their cut of the winnings.

A prosecution of Bankman Fried in criminal court would be gummed up by politicians who benefitted from his theft of investor funds.  A tax law prosecution would be based on the IRS’ burning resentment that they didn’t get a cut of the action.

Damn I have grown cynical in my old age.  Billw, how can we not be cynical?