[ExI] bitcoin again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 15:22:14 UTC 2022

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 at 05:42, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Stathis I don’t think there is a problem with crypto and taxation, I just think taxes were not paid in this case. Because Bankman Fried didn’t actually make profits (as far as I can tell) he didn’t owe taxes.  He stole investors’ assets, but one doesn’t pay taxes on stolen money, ja?  He invested shrewdly in retail politicians, which is why I don’t think he will be prosecuted in criminal court.  He didn’t invest in IRS goodwill, because it isn’t at all clear how he could have done that without actual legal profit.
>
> In any case Stathis, I am OK with waiting to see how all this plays out.  We should know in the next several weeks the legal consequences and what is likely to play out.  About a year from now we will be able to read about the outcome in the history books.
>
> spike

Another point of view -----

<https://tomluongo.me/2022/11/17/cryptofanfic-thoughts-on-ftx/>

Quotes:
CryptoFanFic – Thoughts on FTX
Date: November 17, 2022  Author: Dexter K. White

(Usage herein unless otherwise noted:  bitcoin = bitcoin; crypto =
everything else)

A lot of people think crypto is worth something.
A lot of people think bitcoin is worth something.
Most people in each community think fiat currency has major problems.
And they all believe in the cross fungibility of cryptocurrency and fiat.

Which is why they are missing a huge point about FTX.

The broad crypto community can’t even imagine the perspective of
someone who thinks all of crypto (and BTC) is a bunch of bullshit.
And it is from that perspective where our story is told.