[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 230, Issue 30

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Tue Nov 29 05:08:54 UTC 2022

Quoting Bill W:

> Why do you need any kind of privacy when you are going to do nothing
> wrong?

"Saying you don't need privacy if you have nothing to hide is like
saying you don't need freedom of speech if you have nothing to say." -
Edward Snowden

> Why do I care that the FBI or whoever knows I went to Walmart? My
> doings will put them to sleep.

What if they use the fact that there was some guy infected with "new
and improved" COVID-25 standing behind you in the checkout line and
they need to throw you in a FEMA camp to protect society from you? Or
what if one of your students calls you to ask to reschedule their
midterm exam and unbeknownst to you, that student has ties to some
extremist group. You are now on the FBIs radar as a potential
terrorist. Under existing law, they can get a secret warrant from a
FISA court to tear your home apart looking for the slightest bit of
evidence to use against you. If they are frustrated because they can't
find any evidence of terrorism, what keeps them from arresting you for
weed.

Just being in the wrong place at the wrong time or talking to someone
on the phone can become probable cause to detain you and put you under
the microscope. Even if after thoroughly searching you and making your
life hell for weeks, they find absolutely nothing wrong, then how
would that ordeal have benefited you? Would it be a fair price to pay
for the "good of society"?

Stuart LaForge