[ExI] chinese fires, was:RE: book review

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Wed Nov 30 07:01:06 UTC 2022

During the Great Leap Forward, regional authorities each wanted to look good to the top. So they competed with each other to claim a bigger harvest. It didn't matter what did this did to the people below them, what mattered was looking good to the people OVER them. The result was probably the largest famine in world history.

I suspect something similar is happening now. Each regional authority wants to prove that they are even more zealous in enforcing Covid rules than the next.

It's not so much a display of power as a display of subservience, but that subservience is to the CCP bosses, not to the people. If people cry, starve, burn, so what? If the middle ranks disappoint the upper bosses, their own families will be the ones to cry, starve and burn, so it's worth it to them to prove their fanatic loyalty.

Tara Maya