[ExI] chinese fires, was:RE: book review

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 19:35:33 UTC 2022

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 18:54, spike jones via extropy-chat

> That depends on what strain of flu BillK.  I was an early catcher of covid, that was the worst sick ever, took me over two months to get even close to normal.  Caught again in July 2022.  Covid test was showing positive before I felt symptoms.  The positive line went past pink into deep purple, so I don't doubt it was really covid.  Those daily tests were showing positive for two solid weeks plus a day or two with a fainter positive signal, but the symptoms never amounted to much.  I was sleepy for about two days, never lost my appetite, nothing much on the way of congestion, no sneezing or runny nose, never really felt all that communist the whole time.  If I were to compare to other flus over the years, I would rank this one about 20th percentile in severity, if that much.  Probably more like 15th percentile.
>
> My bride caught it from me a coupla days later, tested positive for only ten days.  She was down only for one, with similar symptoms: mostly sleepiness.  My son caught it, tested positive for less than a week, scarcely noticed he had ever been sick.  He didn't miss any activities, didn't suffer much.  Slept a little longer.
>
> spike

The flu isn't Covid.   They are both respiratory diseases, with some
similar effects. But COVID-19 and the flu are caused by different
viruses. COVID-19 is caused by a coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2, while
flu is caused by influenza A and B viruses. The original influenza
virus knocks people over, unless they have some protection from
vaccination or a previous infection. If you get a bad cold you can
often struggle into work, but usually this is not possible if you get
the flu.
Covid is a different case altogether.

BillK