[ExI] self-riding bicycle test board

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Oct 2 22:35:02 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat

> Note this is a bit different from the original idea.  This isn’t actually a feedback control system as I envisioned, but rather it’s a programmable bicycle.  You hafta ride it down the hill before it knows where the road is.
>
> This might not work (I ha’ me doots, Captain) but we are having fun.
>
> Adrian do you suppose this approach will work?  Or will the bike drift off and crash spectacularly?
>
> spike

>...Won't you need some powered system to turn the handlebars to go round the bases?

BillK

Clarification: we mount the gyro package to a quadrotor drone and fly it around the bases.  Then we double integrate the acceleration data to see if it describes a drone flying around a baseball field, or if it looks more like a panicked bat on fentanyl.

I fear the latter, but if the former, then we mount the gyro package on a bicycle, ride the bike down the last slope coming off of the back side of Mount Hamilton while collecting data.  Then we double integrate that acceleration data, use the resulting position data to tell the bicycle where it should go.

BillK, for powering the stepper motor on the steering crown, we would just use a small gel-cell 12 volt which I already own.

What I don't know is if this approach would be even close to accurate enough to keep the bicycle on the pavement.  I fear it isn't.