[ExI] arduino progress

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 10:04:14 UTC 2022

On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 at 05:38, spike jones via extropy-chat

> My Arduino experimentation was put temporarily on hold by a Sierra hiking trip, but I had an idea.
>
> Go out to the beach, scoop up a bucket of seawater.  Failing that, make a bucket of simulated seawater with salt, just plain table salt and water.  Get an old used Tesla battery pack, charge it to the max, submerge it in the seawater for an hour.  Remove it, instrument the battery pack with thermocouples, have the Arduino take temperature measurements every 30 minutes, or if it has one of those nifty 256k onboard memory units, take a reading every 5 minutes.
>
> Goal, see if there is any corrosion from the seawater that compromises the seal on those batteries.  If so, the batteries will get warmer than their surroundings.
>
> The test rig has to stay outside, far from anything flammable, such as inside your barbeque grill.
> spike

So, when did you start having these suicidal thoughts?  :)

<https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/florida-official-evs-starting-fires-in-hurricane-aftermath/ar-AA12IrMF>
Quotes:
Firefighters in western Florida are responding to numerous calls
concerning electric vehicle fires after they've been stuck in the
flood waters caused by Hurricane Ian, according to a state official.

On Twitter, Jimmy Patronis, Florida's state fire marshal and chief
financial officer, shared videos of fire crews putting out electric
vehicle fires. He said when the batteries corrode after contacting
salt water, they can start fires that can be difficult to put out.

"It was a natural disaster," Patronis told NewsNation. "And we learn
something from every single natural disaster. We truly do. And what we
are learning from this one is EVs are not compatible with salt water.
When they become inoperable, when they have shorts, when they have
corrosion and they are in your garage, as a lot of cars were because
of this storm surge event, they become now a fire hazard for your
house."