[ExI] remote learning

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Oct 11 21:33:14 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] remote learning

>…In many technical fields, computer science definitely included, a BS degree has been compared to a union card: it gives you the ability to get a job (at least, the higher paying ones) and not much else… Adrian

Ja.

In earlier historic times, college was for the economic elite.  After world war 2, the returning troops had the GI Bill, on which the average person could go to college.  I have heard descriptions of battle-hardened veterans in class with students four years their junior who had seen nothing.  The veterans were in a hurry.  They had already seen all the liberal arts they cared for, fighting for survival across Europe.  They wanted a practical education, forthwith.

College changed from teaching students how to think into job training.  The rapid rise of STEM education to support industry replaced much of the traditional curriculum.

OK then, if we are going to use colleges to provide STEM training, for those majors, we really can do that more effectively online at a fraction of the cost and greater effectiveness.