[ExI] et tu, nova?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Oct 16 17:42:33 UTC 2022

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Sunday, 16 October, 2022 9:40 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] et tu, nova?

>…Who remembers the award-winning ad lib song 'Zombie Jamboree'?   billw

Billw!  This is priceless!  We all thought that music video started in the 1980s.  This is from 1969.  Notice it also features Belefonte twerking at 1:20.  If that ain’t a man twerking, I don’t know what to call it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdRI2Y8fGcI

That is great video Billw!  Note the gently implied nekkidness at 2:07.  Understated sexuality it is!  But very effective.  Hey, it worked on me.

There ya go, the value of those more experienced among us, for we, especially Billw, have a kind of societal corporate memory, containing odd fun trivia.

On a scouting trip we had the cubs making a campout treat called banana boats, which is a one-off of a banana split when one has no ice cream on account of having no refrigeration available.  It starts out with a split banana, then goodies are added.  We taught them the Banana Boat song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5dpBWlRANE

Oh that man had a beautiful voice.  He was just concentrated cool.  There is a fun dance that goes with the Banana Boat song, but I couldn’t find it on the internet.  A couple of us scout leaders knew the moves so we had 20 cub scouts out there singing about 6 ft, 7 ft, 8 ft bunch, doing the dance, having not a clue why or bunch of whats.

OK so much for a productive Sunday morning, as all these smart people are searching the internet for logically inexplicable but pure joyful silliness.

Last note on Zombie Jamboree.  Note the subtle anti-war message in this verse, which isn’t in most versions of the ad-lib song I could find:

Back to back, belly to belly
Don't give a damn, I done dead already
Back to back, belly to belly
At the Zombie Jamboree…

I think people what drums in Cango
And he thinks what drums in Cango
So its up to us you and me
To put an end to Catastrophe

We must appeal to their goodness of heart
To put them all do their part
Cause if this Atomic war begin
They wont even have a part to breech in

Back to back, belly to belly
Don't give a damn, I cold dead already
Back to back, belly to belly
At the Zombie Jamboree…

Over half a century ago yet most relevant to today’s world, ja?

Thanks Billw, you made my day.

spike