[ExI] Computers are changing humans

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Oct 20 22:20:52 UTC 2022

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
Sent: Thursday, 20 October, 2022 1:02 PM
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: spike at rainier66.com
Subject: RE: [ExI] Computers are changing humans

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 12:15 PM BillK via extropy-chat
<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> >
wrote:

Computers now play chess far better than humans. …
<https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/10/hans-niemann-chess-
cheating-artificial-intelligence/671799/>
…
…
---------------

BillK____________________________________________

>…BillK, you may recall the discussion here about 20 years ago when the
Brazilian chess championship where they allowed a computer to play, but not
as in the running for the prize: it was not eligible for that, but would
still be in the cross-table and play as a regular competitor.  This
competition included two grandmasters…spike

…

There was something else as well.  In 2013, Borislav Ivanov was playing in
a money tournament and performing in a suspicious way.  He was searched but
refused to remove his shoes, choosing to withdraw from a tournament in which
he was tied for the lead.  He retired from chess after that tournament, at
age 26.  We didn’t hear of him again until four years later when he was
caught forging drivers’ licenses and selling them on the internet.

That kicked off another round of discussion here, again about interfaces.
Apparently Ivanov had figured out how to communicate with a computer in his
shoes.  So now… the tournament players must have their shoes inspected.

OK then, that trick doesn’t work anymore, but we also realized it creates a
new and interesting challenge for swindlers: can a computer be worked out
such that one can hide it within one’s body and communicate with it by some
means?

The latest go-around with Hans Niemann tells me he figured out a way to do
it.  If one wanted to do this completely without external moving parts, it
would need to be up his ass.  I can imagine an IO device of some sort, where
the input would be thru clinching one’s butthole (which happens plenty
during a normal tournament chess game anyway) but it isn’t clear to me how
the device could respond.

Interface hipsters, any suggestions?  NO dammit I don’t intend to try it,
but I want to suggest it on an internet chess forum.