[ExI] Computers are changing humans

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 23:51:59 UTC 2022

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 at 00:28, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Adrian I thought of that, as did pretty much every chess player, but declined to comment for lack of knowledge on how such a device located way you implied could have a workable I/O system.  One can fairly easily imagine the O, but not the I part of that notion.  Ladies here might not wish to comment online perhaps.  With regard to a hearing aid, same situation: I see how it could communicate in the device-to-human direction, but I don’t see how the human to device channel would work.
>
> The chess online community of course is in mourning for what appears to be the long-anticipated end of the road for tournament chess forever.  I am among those who conjectured on this 20 yrs ago.  Chess forum participants are gleefully enjoying use of the terms “chess tournament” and “vibrating anal beads” in the same sentence of course, something none of us expected we would ever see.
>
> Adrian, if a technologically sophisticated swindler wanted to create a perfectly covert small computing device in which the I/O requirement is very small, how would it be done?  Anyone?
>
> spike

The suspect would not necessarily cheat in every tournament game, or
for every move in a game.
If the game is broadcast, or the outside helper can watch the game,
then the suspect only needs a receiver for perhaps a few computer
suggested moves.
I would expect normal hearing aid type devices to be checked for before a game.
Bone conduction receivers are available which could be concealed in a
bushy hairstyle.

But there are thousands of chess fans discussing this, so I doubt that
we could think of something unique that nobody else has suggested.  :)

BillK