[ExI] Hurricane-proof building

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 10:29:54 UTC 2022

On Sat, 3 Sept 2022 at 06:20, spike jones via extropy-chat
<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote>

<snip>

> OK then, in that sense hurricanes are a good thing.  Of course they wreck
> stuff, but think of it this way: we can build things that stand up to
> hurricanes.  It really isn't that hard.  So... if hurricanes are made more
> numerous and more severe by warmer sea surface temperatures, which is caused
> by global warming, and we figure out ways to build such that we can deal
> with flooding and high winds and such, then global warming also has its
> benefits: longer growing seasons, more water, more inhabitable land for
> instance, but it requires that we build water control structures and
> sturdier homes.
>
> That sounds a lot easier to me than struggling to stop global warming.
>
> spike

I think you are under-estimating the cost of making property hurricane-proof.
First you have to distinguish between hurricane-resistant and hurricane-proof.

Hurricane-proof requires a complete rebuild - like round shaped houses
to divert wind, reinforced walls, foundations, roof structure and
unbreakable glass windows.
The suction pressure of hurricanes can lift an entire house off the
foundations, so the property must be tied down to the foundations.
Cost estimate is about twice a normal house cost, plus demolition cost
of previous property.
Hurricane-resistant measures can be retro-fitted to existent houses
but will not withstand a full-strength hurricane. These expensive
measures must include a strengthened safe room or cellar as the house
can still be severely damaged in a hurricane.
Then there is the cost to protect large commercial and public
buildings. You may have seen video of the roof being ripped off
warehouses, etc.

I think that both will be required.
Stronger buildings and measures to reduce global warming.

BillK