[ExI] Hurricane-proof building

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 17:03:23 UTC 2022

On Sat, 3 Sept 2022 at 14:58, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Ja, but one alternative would be stronger buildings and measures to increase
> global warming.  Reasoning: if increased hurricanes mean more rain it might
> be a good tradeoff.  Or never mind measures to reduce global warming, for
> they may become much less popular in the immediately foreseeable future.
> This winter, when the green energy alternatives prove inadequate, perhaps
> most of Europe will be asking: What's so terrible about global warming?
>
> spike

I don't think you are going to get people voting for more hurricanes.  :)
The destruction is too severe, with cities taking years to recover.
The heavy rain also causes flooding and destroys crops.
Cat 5 hurricanes, which are becoming more common, have sustained wind
speeds of 157 mph or higher.
With increased sea warmth, you can expect hurricane violence to also increase.
Hurricane Katrina in 2005 that hit New Orleans only reached Cat 3 - 125 mph.
This caused tremendous damage and New Orleans still hasn't fully recovered.
Hurricane Patricia of 2015, peaked with 215-mph sustained winds off
the Pacific coast of Mexico.
That is underground shelter time!

The cost and time required to reinforce buildings means that our
cities will not be able to withstand hurricanes for many years, if
ever.
Best to try and minimize hurricanes as much as possible.

BillK