[ExI] Hurricane-proof building

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Sep 3 20:23:07 UTC 2022

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Saturday, 3 September, 2022 12:52 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Hurricane-proof building

>…I know that desalinization is expensive, though some Middle East countries do it - no choice I reckon.  But surely people are working on the technology to improve it.  What else could we do?   bill w

Build more and better reservoirs for starters.  In the long run, those are waaay cheaper than desal plants.  Granted they take up a lotta room, but those are passive desalination in a sense, solar powered if you want to think of it that way.  I notice California has approved the first new reservoir in the past thirty some years.  If we have good water handling capacity, we don’t need to desalinate.  We can rely on snowpack and rainfall.

Regarding this last part, an aspect of global warming theory is increased drought in some places.  Perhaps some here remember the 2017 Oroville Dam crisis.  Bet Adrian dam sure does.  I dam sure do.  We were sweating bullets when that spillway was washing out to sea.  We knew what happens if that dam fails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroville_Dam_crisis

Among of the findings in the investigation was that they waited too late to open the flood gates, for understandable reasons: water is valuable stuff in this part of the world.  But also: they had long failed to maintain the emergency spillway, under the belief that the water would never rise that high again.  Well, the water rose that high again.  That spillway had not been properly maintained, it failed.  We are dam lucky that structure didn’t wash away.  Oh we would be in a world of hurt, STILL be in a world of hurt.

spike