[ExI] Time lapse film of exploding star

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 08:51:27 UTC 2022

On Sun, 11 Sept 2022 at 05:27, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Thanks for that Stuart.  Indeed this is the greatest time of all to be living if one is into astronomy.  The astonished Webb images, the completely mind-blowing LIGO results, oh my goodness.  Regarding the LIGO results: I just can't imagine how the heavens there are still sooooo many of those mergers this long after the big bang.
>
> I have never been so wrong as I was about that prediction, but I am in good company.  (Well, I was wronger about Tesla, passing up multiple opportunities to buy at 2 bucks a share.)  A lot of us read the pros and cons and pretty much uniformly guessed we would be dang lucky if there was even one event in the next century.  I estimated 5% chance of a detectable merger in my lifetime.  We have had 22 strong mergers in the past 6 years with the device up and running only a little less than half the time, and a long list of candidate events.
>
> I am still baffled with regard to how there could still be so many of them.  Where does all the angular momentum go?  Stuart is that blowing your mind too?  I remember spending several weeks pondering that and doing calculations, got nowhere at all, not a cm closer to understanding.
>
> spike

Wikipedia says angular momentum is radiated away by the gravitational waves.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave>

Quote:
Energy, momentum, and angular momentum
Water waves, sound waves, and electromagnetic waves are able to carry
energy, momentum, and angular momentum and by doing so they carry
those away from the source. Gravitational waves perform the same
function. Thus, for example, a binary system loses angular momentum as
the two orbiting objects spiral towards each other—the angular
momentum is radiated away by gravitational waves.