[ExI] booster catcher

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Sep 19 04:32:23 UTC 2022

It might be feasible to try to catch a hydrogen/Lox burning booster stage in
a net out at sea.  I wouldn't bet on it but I am thinking of Musk's
kerosene/Lox upright landers going back to launch site and a third possibly
H/Lox stage which lands in a net most of the way over toward Africa in the
south Atlantic.

The notion would be to let that nearly empty stage fall sideways most of the
way down, then turn vertical axis and fire to decelerate at the endgame,
then (possibly) switching the engine back off at about 100 meters altitude
and landing sideways in the net.