[ExI] (no subject)

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Apr 1 14:13:17 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat
…
Subject: Re: [ExI] (no subject)

>…Thank you Max for speaking with the voice of reason as usual. I've never been too impressed by EY in any of his phases.

>…First, there are practical considerations: if the good guys stop developing AI, then only the bad guys will develop AI. “If such a pause cannot be enacted quickly, governments should step in and institute a moratorium.” - Do they really think China would follow?

Only a few governments have the authority to do something like that: China, North Korea, Cuba, maybe a few other little guys, none of which are currently big competitors in AI.  Constitutionally limited governments generally do not have even theoretically that level of authority, the US government definitely doesn’t have that level of authority, nor does any state, county or city within the USA that I know of.  Such a proposal as Eliezer’s coming from an American surprises me.