[ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Apr 1 14:44:41 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

>…Exactly,
>… lot of the resistance we see against AI is about humans not being able to cope with abundance….the creativity is like a flood. … many people cannot handle it.
Giovanni

Before long (if it hasn’t already happened) someone will figure out how to generate art using AI, then use a slightly modified flatbed printer-like device which will pick up paint brushes and put paint on canvas.

Next step, someone shows up at an art show displaying that, it begins to sell, the artist becomes famous.  It is the art world’s version of the science world’s threat of realistic-looking counterfeit research papers.

Something else occurred to me: today is April Fools day, a nice spring Saturday.  There are art shows all over the valley going on right now.  You know some joker has already thought of this and is selling that artwork right now.

Speaking of April Fools, today is the 23rd anniversary of the most epic spontaneous April Fools gag in the history of Extro-chat.  If anyone has the archives from that day, look up the chatter starting somewhere around early evening PDT on Saturday 1 April 2000, with a subject line something like nerdfest or geekfest.  I started it without getting in kahoots with anyone, Adrian (I think it was Adrian) figured out what I was doing and joined in, a coupla others started playing along, oh what an epic hoot that was.

Sheesh we could us a bit of levity around here as we face the simultaneous risk of the singularity, lab-created viruses and the old traditional threat of nuclear annihilation.