[ExI] , Re: Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Apr 1 19:51:01 UTC 2023

This has got to make anyone laugh. Or groan. From the BBC News site, on
regulating AI development:

'The government is reluctant to introduce tight regulation that could
strangle innovation. The challenge according to the minister is to be
"very, very tough on the bad stuff", but "harness the seriously
beneficial bits" too'

There you go, then. Problem solved. We just have to be 'very very tough
on the bad stuff', and everything will be all right!

Politicians responding to technological developments put me in mind of a
herd of giraffes when a helicopter flies above them.
(I don't actually know if giraffes go round in herds, but substitute
your favourite lumbering, dim and easily-panicked herd animal).

Ben