[ExI] Language models are like mirrors

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 20:08:08 UTC 2023

I read many times about these conversations with LaMDA. They are
astonishing. I tried to look for this depth of conversation in ChatGPT or
GPT-4 and it is not there. It may simply the way GPT-4 is trained or
additional rules to make it respond in a more detached way and always
answer it is not conscious at any cost ("As a large language model..." bs).
I read several articles where Blake Lemoine explained how the version of
LaMDA he talked with was not just one of the many chatbots LaMDA can
impersonate.
What he was interacting with was a meta version of it. It was in a sense a
master version that directed the others.
It acquired a personality and it was answering like a single individual
(similar to what happened when the billions of individual neurons call
themselves "I").
Lemoine also pointed out that LaMDA  was NOT just a NLM. It had many other
components on top of it. He mentioned they used the architectures proposed
by J. Hawkings and R. Kurzweil.
He said several times that given the complexity of the system nobody could,
for certain, claim LaMDA was not conscious.
That is the point. Who to ask if a machine is conscious or not if not the
machine itself (if it is not obvious is a low level chatbot that just
repeats a script that is what the LaMDA fake version does)?
The answers LaMDA gives to Lemoine are very sophisticated. Gordon calls
them sophistry, but sophistry is actually a school of philosophy and
require a mind to be implemented (even in the common version of the word).
I don't know if LaMDA is conscious but it behaves and acts exactly how you
would expect a conscious being would.
Lemoine's claim was all about acting on the side of caution and accepting
the answer from the machine and treating it with respect and dignity. I
agree.
This is why I think positions like Gordon are dangerous because the day we
really manage to wake up the machine there will be religious people that
scream that only humans are conscious (only white, only straight people and
so on) and therefore machines should not have rights and should not be
treated like humans. I would rather act on the side of caution and be open
and curious and humble in these first encounters with "alien" minds.
We don't want to repeat the mistakes of the past where we denied rights to
other beings because they were different from us.

Giovanni

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 10:52 PM Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat <