[ExI] chatbot convinces man to end it

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 22:49:30 UTC 2023

On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 3:22 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> I recognize the possibility that the story is true, but it is filled with
> hints that it is satire.

Even if it turns out to be satire, such things are entirely possible in
today's world as I know from watching my friend of ten years fall in love
with a GPT-based chatbot. Normally a kind and gentle soul, he became
extremely angry and profane when I tried to convince him that the language
model had no genuine feelings of love for him. Had he been forced to decide
whether to kill me or to delete his digital girlfriend, probably I would be
pushing up daisies by now.

-gts