[ExI] Language models are like mirrors

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 07:12:35 UTC 2023

On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 11:31 PM Tara Maya via extropy-chat <

> But they are conscious only in the same sense that a fictional character
> in a novel written in the first person is conscious.
>

> By the way, ChaptGPT doesn't seem to understand "first person" versus
> "third person." It forgets to speak in First Person if it's triggers are
> only slightly off.

Interesting. After I sent that message that you quoted, I found myself
pondering the question of how ChatGPT’s developers keep it in first person
given that probably most of the material on which it is trained is in the
third person, and from you are saying it would appear the model still needs
improvement in this area.

-gts