[ExI] Language models are like mirrors

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Apr 2 13:53:35 UTC 2023

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Ben
Zaiboc via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Language models are like mirrors

>...I can't quite believe these conversations discussing chatbots statements
about whether they are conscious or not. We can't even get humans to agree
on what consciousness is, so why should these silly conversations have any
significance at all?

Ben

Why?  Ben, it is because these chatbots have convinced some fraction of
humanity that they are conscious, and with that, they have the ability (or
the consequence?) of compelling the humans to take actions, some of which
are potentially highly destructive.  This observation is what led to my
contention about dealing with threats of AI before it is sentient: it has
the potential to influence BI to do bad things.