[ExI] Language models are like mirrors

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 03:54:54 UTC 2023

On Sun, Apr 2, 2023 at 9:36 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <
> From what I understand from reading the debate here in the past few
weeks, it isn’t as simple as sentient or not sentient.  There are subtle
shades of meaning and levels of sentience...

Yes and personally I despise the term "sentient," as per Webster it is
ambigious with the respect to what matters to me:

sentient
adjective
sen·tient ˈsen(t)-sh(ē-)ənt  ˈsen-tē-ənt
Synonyms of sentient
1
: responsive to or conscious of sense impressions

I hardly care whether an AI or robot is responsive to what might be called
sense impressions. I want to know if it is conscious of them.

-gts