[ExI] Against the paperclip maximizer or why I am cautiously optimistic

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Mon Apr 3 13:53:08 UTC 2023

> On Apr 3, 2023, at 2:52 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>
> The AI would not make any trivial mistakes, ever, including mistakes in ethical reasoning.

I can agree with what you said except this. I believe that the more intelligent a species the more profound mistakes it can make. I think this is simply because the more intelligent a mind is the more choices open to it and the greater the possibility that some of those choices will be wrong, even by its own moral code.

I'm not a doomsayer about AI. This applies to any sentient beings, human, animal, machine or alien.

This is simply, to me, part of any definition of intelligence, that it evolves to guide "free will," which is the ability to make choices among many possible actions, according to values that have shorter or longer term pay-offs, and includes the possibility of being unable to always calculate the best long-term payoff for itself and others.

Tara Maya