[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 18:31:27 UTC 2023

It has been said and I agree that language models are like advanced
auto-completes. Based on common English usage on which they have been
trained extensively, they not only can predict which word will be most
sensible to us in a sentence, but also which paragraph will be most
sensible in an essay, which answer will be most sensible after a question,
and so on, constrained only by their token limit and the extent of the
datasets on which they have been trained and the imaginations of the humans
who write the prompts. It is an amazing feat of software engineering.

-gts