[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 21:23:43 UTC 2023

When I ask ChatGPT-4 to "regenerate response" to the same question, it
happily gives me the same answer in different words:
---
Dear User,

Yes, your description is quite accurate. I am an advanced language model
developed by OpenAI, and I function as a highly sophisticated autocomplete
feature. My purpose is to predict and generate text based on the context
and input provided by the user.

You are also correct in stating that I don't have a true understanding of
the meanings of individual words or any conscious experience. I am
essentially an artificial intelligence program that analyzes patterns and
relationships in vast amounts of text data to generate coherent and
contextually appropriate responses. My abilities are derived from
statistical analysis rather than a true comprehension or consciousness.
--

-gts