[ExI] Language models are like mirrors

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 05:33:58 UTC 2023

Speaking of scare quotes, I have mentioned Emily Bender, Professor of
Computational Linguistics. She puts much effort into trying to rid the
world of such language as “the language model understands thus and so,” and
“the model comprehends thus and so” not only in speech by lay-people but
also in academic journals where it often appears. She calls such language
“hype” and I agree completely.

However, if people had the sense to put words like “understand” and
“comprehend” in scare-quotes like I did just there, she would probably be
fine with it.

-gts