[ExI] dualism

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue Apr 4 17:37:53 UTC 2023

On 04/04/2023 08:43, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> Date:
> 04/04/2023, 02:33
>
> To:
> ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>

> Jason, I think, wondered how many of us were dualists.  I wonder too.
> Are you?  I am not.   bill w

Not really a fair question, I think. Certainly not one that will give us
much of an idea.

The reason I think this, is that there are quite a large number of
people, I've observed over the years, that I classify as
'crypto-dualists'. That is, people who claim not to be dualist, but
whose arguments are firmly grounded in a dualistic mindset. This is most
clearly revealed in the (I hardly dare say it!) arguments about identity
in a 'mind-copying' scenario. The old 'If someone makes a copy of my
mind, is it still me?' question.

I'm not trying to revive that tired old debate (because it never goes
anywhere useful, it just polarises entrenched opinions even more), just
using it to illustrate what I mean. In order to think that a perfect
copy of your mind isn't really you, you have to have a dualistic
mindset, regardless of what you claim. So, I think that just asking the
question won't get accurate answers. People may not lie, but they may
well be mistaken in their answer. It needs a test, not a
straightfowrward question, to reveal the truth.

So, Bill, you say you are not a dualist. Do you think that a perfect
copy of your mind, instantiated in any capable processing system
(including, but not limited to, another biological brain) is still you?

Do you think it's possible for there to be two yous, each with equal
claim to be 'the real you'?

If you agree with both of these, I accept that you're not a dualist.

There are plenty of crypto-dualists on this list (or certainly were,
about 10 years ago). I have no intention of starting the argument up
again, just wanted to give my take on how this question isn't much use.

Ben