[ExI] Language models are like mirrors

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 03:04:58 UTC 2023

On Mon, Apr 3, 2023 at 9:43 AM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> Ja.  Gordon I agree....They come across like they know what they are
talking about, but I think they don’t really.  What they say is mostly
true, but they say true stuff without “knowing” what they are talking
about.

You know I agree 100%. I think Adrian and a few others might also agree.
The funny thing is, ChatGPT-4 "knows" very well how language models work.
If you phrase the question correctly, it will agree that it does not know
what it is talking about.  It does not know what it is talking about even
while confessing that it does not know what it is talking about. ;-)

Professor Bender and her colleagues call them "Stochastic Parrots."

-gts