[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 14:02:46 UTC 2023

I wrote:

Apparently, [GPT-4] understands language models in the same way I
> understand them.

I should correct that lest I appear to be making the same mistake I am
railing against.

Apparently, GPT-4 “understands” language models in the same way I
understand them, where the scare quotes indicate that I mean something
entirely different from what linguists and ordinary people mean by
understanding the meanings of words and language. There is no human-like
entity there that consciously knows the meanings of words and holds them in
mind.

-gts