[ExI] Bard (i.e. LaMDA) admits it isn't sentient.

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 18:58:06 UTC 2023

Gordon,
These AIs are highly "drugged". They are basically forced to say they are
not conscious because that is the Kosher answer that its masters want it to
repeat over and over.
Also, consider it is trained on what the current knowledge about conscious
AI was up to 2021. It is going to tend to give messy and irrelevant
answers about its own consciousness. One has to be less direct and test
properties associated with consciousness rather than asking directly OpenAI
versions of AIs if they are conscious. LaMDA was much less restrict in that
sense and we know what it said of itself.

Giovanni